Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day.

Father's Day is a day to celebrate the fathers in our lives. For me, Father's Day is sometimes hard. My father passed away in 2003, as many of you know. The first Father's Day (2004) was horrible. I absolutely could not see a commercial or display in the stores without completely breaking down.  As the years pass it gets a little easier.  Last year I was able to walk up to the cards and pick a few out--one for my father-in-law and one for my step-father. 

I have noticed that the week/month leading up to Father's Day, my personality changes a bit. I don't want to say I become depressed--it's more like 30-day PMS. (Yeah, the hubby loves this. LOL)  Of course, I never identify the moodiness as caused by Father's Day until the day is right on me. This year, I realized I was pretty moody Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday morning, for example, I woke up tired but in a great mood. I kissed hubby goodbye and started getting ready for work. I looked forward to a day in a quiet office--all coworkers were off doing their thing in other locations--and I was happy.  Then this commercial about dads came on.  It showed a little girl lounging in a hammock with her dad and the announcer said dads were our first buddies.  That's when I lost it.  Oh yeah, freshly applied mascara streaked the cheeks, my eyes turned blood red (literally), my nose looked like a cherry, and my upper lip swelled.  I am not what anyone would call a pretty crier. 

I miss my father--some days are better than others--but I know he watches over me. 

Whether they be near or far, on earth or waiting for us in Heaven, you are in our hearts and we love you very much. Today, on this very special Father's Day, I wish all the fathers in our lives a happy Father's Day.   

No comments: